With this report, a dated Bank Reconciliation Report can be created. If the church has more than one bank account, then a Reconciliation report can be created for each bank account.
- This first step is optional. Right click in the "R?" (or reconciled) column to set the checkbook register filters. This will sort the transactions in the register. Unreconciled transactions will be listed at the top, and then sorted by transaction type and transaction/check number. For more information about filters, see Setting Transaction Register Filters.
To start a new report, double click the "R?" column on any non-reconciled transaction that
appears on the bank statement. We recommend starting with the first deposit on the bank
statement A blue options box will appear with 3 options to choose from:
- Create A New Report: Click the Date box below this option to select the desired date for the new report. We recommend using the ending date on the bank statement.
- Add Transaction to a Previously Generated Report: Select this option if the selected transaction needs to be added to a report that already exists. To create a report that includes transactions from 2 fiscal years, reconcile the transactions from one year first. Change the fiscal year and reconcile a transaction in the second year, and choose to add the transaction to the already started report.
- Reconcile Without using a Reconciliation Report: Select "Do NOT include this transaction in a Reconciliation Report: (Report Mode = Off). With this option, transactions that are reconciled during this session will not be included on a Reconciliation Report. After clicking OK, the options box will close and a report will NOT appear on screen.
- Click OK at the bottom of the blue screen to continue.
- A box may appear asking if transaction from the previous year should be included on this report. Choose Yes, if there are transactions from 2 fiscal years that need to be included. Otherwise, choose No. In most cases, the correct answer is Yes.
The Reconciliation Report will appear on the left side of the screen. The reconciled
transactions will appear in the bottom half of the report screen with totals and balances listed
at the top. Continue to mark the remaining transactions listed on the bank statement as
reconciled by double clicking in the "R?" box for each transaction. (See illustration below.)
Optional: Press the space bar to reconcile a transaction. Highlight the reconciled box for the transaction using the mouse or arrow keys on the keyboard and then press the space bar.
- When all transactions on the bank statement have been marked as reconciled, the ending balance on the report should match the ending balance on the bank statement. This indicates that NTS is reconciled with the bank statement. If the balance is different, then there is a problem that needs to be corrected.
- To print the report, click the button to print the report.
- To close the report, click the button at the upper right corner of the report.
At the bottom right corner of the transaction register, the current reconciled balance is shown. This balance will update as transactions are reconcile. If option C., no report, is chosen, this balance should match the ending balance on the bank statement when reconciliation is complete. If a report was created, this balance will match the ending balance on the report.
To review a report after it has been closed, click Reports at the top of the Checkbook screen and then click Reconciliation Report.
Unreconcile a Transaction or Delete a Reconciliation Report
To remove a transaction from a reconciliation report or to unreconcile it, double click on the 'X' in the reconciled (R?) column. If the transaction was reconciled on an older reconciliation report (i.e., not on the most recent report), then please see the link below for instructions on correcting an old report.
If a report needs to be deleted:
- Open the reconciliation report by clicking on Reports and then Reconciliation report. The most recent report will appear on screen. To choose a different report, choose the report date from the drop down box at the top of the report.
- Unreconcile all transactions on the report.
- To quickly find the transactions, click on the transaction in the report and the transaction will appear highlighted in the register.