- Click the Report button on the Payroll screen and then click W-2/W-3 Report
- If necessary, change the payroll year by clicking the arrow buttons on either side of the year; .
- Select Employees who will receive W-2s from the church by double-clicking the column to the right of each name. ('XX' should appear) If taxes have been withheld, the employee will automatically be selected. If the Employee was Self-Employed or Contract Labor, then you may choose to un-select the employee. (Double-click on the 'XX' to remove the selection.) The Pastor(s) SHOULD BE SELECTED in most cases. The information that we have received from the IRS states that the church should provide the Pastor(s) a W-2.
- Click the Calculate Tax Statements button.
- Make any changes to W-2s on the screen by choosing the Employee on the left side, and then making the changes on the right side of the screen. NOTE: Any changes you make to these forms will NOT be saved. After leaving the W-2/W-3 screen, these changes will be completely erased.
Printing W-2s Copy A (SSA Copy)
It is no longer necessary to obtain red copies of the IRS forms W-2 and W-3. You can print W-2 Copy A and the W-3 Form directly from NTS using your printer and ink. These forms have been approved by the IRS when the printing requirements are met. We recommend using a laser printer/copier for these forms.
PRINTING REQUIREMENTS: These forms must be printed with black ink and on 20 lb. white paper. When printed, the ink on the forms MUST BE dark. If the printer is running low on ink, new ink cartridges should be installed so that the ink is not too light. DO NOT use "Draft" or "Fast" printing options. DO NOT copy these forms and then send in the copies. Copies will NOT be accepted by the Social Security Administration and may result in penalties being assessed. ONLY send in forms printed directly from NTS.
- Click the Print W-2 Copy A button and then click OK in the printer dialog box.
Print W-2s Copies B, C, D, 1 & 2 (employee and employer copies)
- Click the Print W-2 - B,C,D,1,2 button.
- Choose which copies of the Form W-2 that should be printed. Uncheck any copies that are not needed.
- To avoid having to cut the W-2 Forms in half, check the Print one W-2 per page option.
- Click the Print W-2 Copies button. The front part of the form will print.
- Wait until all copies have printed. Insert the forms into your printer so that the printer will print on the back of the page. Place all copy Bs on top of the stack followed by copies C, D, 1 and finally 2 at the bottom of the stack. If the printer prints documents starting with the last page, you need to reverse the order the forms are inserted into the printer.
- Click OK to print the back side of the form.
IMPORTANT: Verify ALL amounts on the W-2 and W-3 Forms prior to submitting them to the SSA.
Print Form W-3
IMPORTANT: This form must comply with the same requirements as Copy A of the W-2 form. See Printing Requirements under "Printing W-2s Copy A".
- Click View W-3. The W-3 information is automatically calculated based on the W-2 amounts that were generated.
- Make any changes necessary to the form and type in any additional information needed.
- Click the Print W-3 button and then click OK in the printer dialog box.
IMPORTANT: Print and keep paper copies of ALL forms filed with the SSA. You may not be able to re-print these forms from NTS at a later date.
The information contained in this web page is of a general nature. It is not offered as specific legal or tax "advice." Each person, local church, and district should evaluate their own unique situation in consultation with their local legal and tax advisors. User should verify ALL amounts reported on ALL forms before submitting forms to the IRS, the Social Security Administration or providing forms to employees.