These instructions are for NTS versions 5.00 and above. Please see Instructions for NTS versions 4.99.3 and below if you have an earlier version of NTS.
NOTICE: By going through this process, the data for the current fiscal year will be completely deleted. If some of the information for the current year might be needed, we recommend you print out the information and/or make a backup of the data before continuing. Make any necessary backups before continuing.
For our example, we will be starting the 2016/2017 or 2016 fiscal year over.
- If you have already started entering transactions in the new year, continue with step 2. If you have not entered any transactions in the new year, skip to step 6.
- Exit NTS completely.
- Open the files on your computer and go to the NTS installation or data directory. The default data folder is "C:\NTSData". The default installation directory is "C:\Program Files\NTSwin" or "C:\Program Files (x86)\NTSwin". Depending on your installation, the data files will be located in one of these folders.
- Find the MstrLdgr.dir folder. In this folder, look for the file that corresponds to the year to be deleted. In the example, the '2016Ledger.abs' file needs to be deleted. If you wanted to start the 2017/2018 year over, find and delete the '2017Ledger.abs' file. (See payroll note below.)
- Open and log into NTS. Go to the Checkbook screen.
- Change the fiscal year to the year you want to start fresh, if necessary.
- If payroll is used, go to the payroll screen. Delete each and every payroll check that falls within the fiscal year you are starting over. If the fiscal year began on March 1, then all checks dated on or after March 1 would need to be deleted.
At this point, there are two options. Option #1, the new year can be started with the setup from
the prior year (Bank Accounts, Internal Accounts, Expense Accounts, Payees, etc.). Option #2,
the year can be started completely over with the default set of accounts (both expense and
internal accounts) with $0 balances.
- From the Checkbook screen, click on Setup and then Bank/Internal Acct List.
- In the bottom right corner, click the button that says, "Copy Previous year or Default Acct List".
- If you want option #1, choose the option that says "Copy all Setup information from Fiscal Year: 20##/20##. If you want option #2, choose the option that says, Copy all default Setup Information.
- Click OK at the bottom.
- Make any corrections necessary on the bank and/or internal account balances. Please see the link below on where to enter starting balances if you need further instructions.