We received a contribution check that was returned for insufficient funds.  How do I record this?

Two entries need to be posted to the checkbook.

  1. Post an income adjustment to take the money back out of the account. The amount of the income adjustment will be the amount of the bounced check and will not include any fees. Type in the amount in as a negative number on the adjustment. Here is an example:
    Returned Check Income Adjustment Entry
  2. Enter an expense adjustment for the amount of any fees charged by the bank. Again, the amount will be a negative number.
    Returned Check Bank Fee Entry
  3. Delete the contribution from the contribution screen.
    1. On the Contribution screen, select the date of the contribution in the calendar or click the Show all 20XX dates checkbox.
    2. Select the contributor in the names list.
    3. Select the contribution entry to be deleted and then click the Delete Entry button.